Saturday, December 03, 2005

Thinking in Spanish

I've come to the conclusion that playing the piano is a lot like learning Spanish. Follow me here.

Me llamo Roberto. Son las once y media. Abre la ventana.

With the exception of some numbers and maybe some dirty words if I think real hard, what you've just read are the sole remnants of 5 years of studying Spanish. Makes you wonder why.

The reason I think is that while I had accumulated a number of words, conjugation of verbs, etc. at the time, I never made the leap to actually thinking in Spanish. Anytime I wanted to say something, I'd have to think about what I wanted to say, and then translate those words into Spanish. What a pain in the ass.

A few years ago, I took a stab at piano lessons. I was already in my 30s but it was before I had kids and it was something I always wanted to learn as a kid but never did because we didn't have a piano and my parents weren't inclined to get one. I did OK with the lessons but it was a very analytical process for me. Which finger? What note? What key is this? I aspired to be like many great pianists who could just sit down at a piano and their fingers would find the keys. It becomes so ingrained in them that it doesn't need to be analytical anymore.

My son, Monkey Boy, just started taking piano lessons this fall and already he's miles ahead of where I was when I quit when he was born. I know they say it's easier for kids to learn anything compared to adults. It amazes me to watch him play, because he hears the song in his head as he plays. When he gets lost during a piece, I realize in many cases he fumbles to find his spot because HE'S NOT LOOKING AT THE MUSIC! Maybe the gift for kids is that they're learning so much at the same time (to read, ride a bike, speak Spanish) that they learn how to "think bike", "think Spanish" and "think piano". There's so much they don't know that when they learn something it's more complete learning because they're not trying to go from a place they're comfortable to a place their not.

In any case, I've found the process fascinating.

Me llamo Roberto and I wish I could play piano like I'm thinking in Spanish.

2 comments:

Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

That's actually the experience I had again and again with every creative process I ever attempted, whether it was some sort of craft or a real art like oil painting or piano lessons. I was always aware that not only was it hard, but I had no confidence that even if I worked for years I'd ever be as good as those people I admired. And honestly, why would I want a bad original "pooks" on the wall when I could get a very nice reproduction Monet that was what I really wanted to begin with?

Until I found writing. And it was never too hard -- it was hard, but I always had this secret little thrill that it was within my grasp to be, not a Hemingway or an Austen, but a Pooks, and I was willing to work hard to discover exactly what that meant.

Hey, look at this. I made it all about me! (blush)

lacy said...

yeah, but you're so right, pooks.
monkey boy isn't just learning the piano and thinking music while he plays, he was probably born to think in music. and maybe even born to think in spanish, if he's really lucky.
rob, monkey boy sounds like he's really got it goin' on...cool!