Friday, December 16, 2005

Good Riddance

An end of the year meme I got from a friend. Some of my answers surprised even me.

1. What did you do in 2005 that you'd never done before? We visited Oregon, my first time in the Pacific Northwest. We went camping with our kids.

2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year? For the first time in forever, I actually did. I lost 25 pounds and have kept it off for 6 months so far. I’ve already made some new ones.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Two of my sisters-in-law's siblings had their first children.

4. Did anyone close to you die? Unfortunately, yes. MLB lost her father in May. I lost my grandmother in February.

5. What countries did you visit? I didn't visit any other countries this year.

6. What would you like to have in 2006 which you lacked in 2005? A shower that doesn’t leak. More organization in my life. More “down” time to the extent such a thing still exists.

7. What date from 2005 will remain etched in your memory, and why? May 3rd. It’s the date on which MLB lost her father. In addition to helping her through her grief, we had to tell the kids their grandfather was gone.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Finishing rewrites on my optioned script so I can finally move on to something else.

9. What was your biggest failure? Not doing some essential repairs/organization at home.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? I remained fairly healthy this year (knock wood), except for a few bad colds.

11. What was the best thing you bought? A new bed. It’s amazing how much better we’re sleeping ever since.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? MLB, my kids, my manager, Hurricane Katrina relief workers.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Our government. Our President. My town Supervisor. The people and corporations that used Hurricane Katrina for crime, mischief and/or financial gain.

14. Where did most of your money go? I wish I knew. My guess is taxes, the mortgage, car payments, etc. – general living expenses.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? My script was getting read by agents for some A-list stars and directors. Monkey Boy learned to ride his bike. Peanut started reading. Going to Disney World last February.

16. What song will always remind you of 2005? Everything from Rob Thomas’ Something To Be album.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: Happier or sadder? Thinner or fatter? Richer or poorer? I'm happier because 2005 is over. 2005 was really rough personally and professionally. I’m hopeful for better things in 2006. I’m significantly thinner (shed 25 pounds this year) and feeling more energetic and healthier because I’m working out 5 days a week. I guess richer than last year even though we were hit with a number of significant house expenses this year.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of? Writing. Rewrites on my optioned script were so draining that 2005 is the first year in the past 4 that I didn’t complete a new script. Spending time with MLB and the kids. I fortunately get to spend a good amount of quality time with them but it’s like crack to me. I always want more.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of? Losing my patience. It kills me when I yell at the kids for doing what kids do.

20. How will you be spending Christmas? At my house with MLB, the kids, my Mom and MLB’s Mom and brother. It will be small but magical. Monkey Boy just learned the “secret” of Santa this year but a big part of him still wants to believe. Peanut is completely and blissfully innocent when it comes to Santa. They’re counting down the days.

21. Did you fall in love in 2005? I fall in love with MLB every year. I know it sounds SO corny but I swear on my life it’s true.

22. What was your favorite TV program? Lost and The West Wing. Great writing, great characters. Definitely appointment TV.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? No, I still hate everyone equally. Just kidding. I don’t think I can say I “hate” anyone.

24. What was the best book you read? State of Fear by Michael Crichton. I only got to read a handful of books this year (assuming you’re talking about the hand of someone on the bomb squad) but this was the best. It wasn’t my favorite of Crichton’s books but you’ve got to give the guy credit for the work he puts into his books. Whether you agree with his theories or not, they never fail to make you think.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery? The Garden State soundtrack.

26. What did you want and get? I wanted to take some fun vacations and I did. Even a weekend away feels like a vacation sometimes.

27. What did you want and not get? A break. Lots of things seemed to break, wear out, get lost, not work out this year. From one thing on New Year’s Day to the next and the next and the next. It was a year of dealing with problem after problem (and some are still not done being dealt with).

28. What was your favorite film of this year? Wedding Crashers was pure unadulterated fun. Revenge of the Sith was a very satisfying ending to the Star Wars saga. I loved watching my kids watch (and later quote) Madagascar. I also think Brokeback Mountain was exceptionally well done.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old did you turn? I turned 39, but at the moment can’t really recall what I did.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? To have my screenplay set up somewhere. Maybe in 2006.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005? Comfortable. Sweaters, turtlenecks, khakis, jeans and button down shirts.

32. What kept you sane? MLB. She is my rock. And the kids too – they always help me keep things in perspective.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Can’t say I really fancied anyone this year. MLB is a huge Oprah fan and I do admire the things Oprah has done to help others.

34. What political issue stirred you the most? The war in Iraq. I still can’t figure out what the plan is (assuming there even is one). Also, the bungled handling of Katrina victims. What a mess.

35. Whom did you miss? My dad. He’s been gone 15 years but I think of him often when I’m with my kids, knowing how much he would eat them up if he had lived long enough to see them.

36. Who was the best new person you met? The new head of my department on the corporate level. He’s smart, tough but also a very decent human being. Most people lose the “decent” when they get to his level.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005: Always do your best. It never fails to surprise and impress others. Even if it doesn’t bring external rewards, the internal rewards pay dividends.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: “The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.”

No comments: